Pre-broken pasta

Somebody put some serious thought into this one! The first thing they said was "the pasta is too big for the pot" (apparently they didn't know that if they use a pasta pot and the right amount of water, it fits perfectly....but I digress) Then they said "I guess I'll have to break it in half" and break it they did! This method has worked just fine since the 14th century when dry pasta started becoming popular. Suddenly in the last few months breaking your pasta to fit in a pot has just become way too difficult and the pre-broken pasta was born.

pre broken pasta

I first saw this item made by the Great Value brand but have since seen it made by other companies. It should be noted that none of them are the big pasta brand names, all off brands. Interesting. Also interesting that I've only ever seen them in discount mass retailers and clearance stores.

broken angel hair

My questions on this product are: is it really that difficult to just break the pasta by hand? How much time does this really save? Who decided that this was such a big problem that designing new labels and new boxes would make so much money that it would be worth the added expense? 

I've got questions....no one's answering!

~L

Comments